Description: The Barnes Foundation is seeking a Deputy Director for Collections and Exhibitions & Gund Family Chief Curator. The chief curator/deputy director works directly with the executive director and executive team to evolve and implement the institution's strategic plans with specific responsibility for exhibitions, exhibition related publications, conservation, and collection management, as well as select curatorial and educational technology initiatives. S/he manages all relevant staff and resources with overall responsibility for the curatorial, conservation, and registrar departments. Working in tandem with the executive director, s/he actively promotes the Barnes Foundation's artistic and educational mission and activities to a broad public.
The Barnes Foundation (www. barnesfoundation. org) was established by Albert C. Barnes in 1922 "to promote the advancement of education and the appreciation of the fine arts and horticulture. "
An internationally renowned institution, the Barnes possesses one of the finest collections of impressionist, post-impressionist and early modernist paintings in the world. With particularly extensive holdings of work by Paul Czanne, Giorgio de Chirico, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Pierre Auguste-Renoir, Henri Rousseau and Chaim Soutine, the collection also features paintings and works on paper by such American masters as Charles Demuth, William Glackens, Horace Pippin and Maurice Prendergast. Old master paintings, important examples of African sculpture and native American ceramics, jewelry and textiles, and decorative arts and antiquities from the Mediterranean region and Asia round out the collection.
The Barnes serves an audience of some 300, 000 annually through active interpretation of its permanent collection; two to three loan exhibitions of modern, contemporary and non-western art and design; an extensive roster of educational programs for children and adults; a growing schedule of public lectures and time-based arts presentations; scholarly and popular publications; and an evolving menu of digital tools and resources available both onsite and online.
Promotes progressive curatorial and educational activity to support the strategic goals of the Foundation. Priorities for the chief curator/deputy director will be related to the mobilization of this strategic plan and include:
* Manages curatorial, conservation, registrar and exhibitions staff.
* Develops long-range plans for and implementation of a mission aligned changing exhibition program.
* Organizes and produces exhibition related publications.
* Develops long-range plans for and management of conservation projects.
* Partners with the Deputy Director for Research, Interpretation and Education on the production and execution of a multi-year collections research plan.
* Oversees financial resources assigned to the collections departments, developing and monitoring of the annual budget.
* Performs other duties as requested.
To Apply: Please include your cover letter, a list of three professional references and resume/CV with your application. Applications that fail to fulfill this requirement will not be accepted.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace. We're committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.
* Terminal degree in art history preferred
* Expertise in a field that is a core strength of the Barnes collection
* Commitment to the social history of art
* Demonstrated track record of significant, academically rigorous and compelling exhibitions and publications
* Acquaintance with and enthusiasm for all areas of visual art education
* Minimum of five years senior management experience; minimum of seven years applied curatorial experience
Competitive Benefits Include: Group health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; short and long term disability and group life insurance; 403(b) with matching contributions; Employee Assistance Program; voluntary benefits; as well as paid vacation, personal time, sick time and holidays.