The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L. A. and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the Trojan Family, which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
USCs Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts & Sciences, Dornsife Center for Economic and Social Research is seeking a Senior Research Associate (Associate Economist) to join its team.
The Center for Economic and Social Research (CESR) is a new interdisciplinary institute in the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, led by Arie Kapteyn. The goal of the institute is to conduct a wide range of research projects in the social sciences and economics, often in collaboration with other departments and schools at USC. We envision CESR to be an exciting, new, and innovative environment for both fundamental and applied research.
The position requires excellent analytical skills, strong written and oral communication skills in English, significant knowledge of a specialized area of research, the ability to lead projects and proposals and work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, and a commitment to affecting change through empirical research. In addition, the ideal candidate would be willing to mentor and guide junior staff and students on procedures, techniques and the use of equipment as needed.
** Preferred Qualifications:**
* PhD in Economics, or International Development, Public Policy or Public Health with a similar curriculum in microeconomic theory and econometrics.
* At least 3 years experience in a research, higher education or international development institution.
* Demonstrated research skills, preferably in the form of peer review publications or similar achievements.
* Demonstrated success initiating and leading research projects and proposals.
* Familiarity with international development donors and funders desirable.
* Experience collaborating with international partners in research projects desirable.
Job responsibilities include:
* Serves as a senior researcher with expertise in field. Plans, designs and conducts highly technical and complex research projects independently and in consultation with supervisor, which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation. May contribute to the development of new concepts, techniques and standards. Exercises considerable latitude in determining research objectives and approaches.
* Identifies, researches, compiles and evaluates data sources, background information and/or technology related to area of specialization.
* Analyzes and evaluates research data utilizing computers and provides interpretations requiring significant knowledge of a specialized area of research. Searches literature, utilizing all available resources including electronic, regarding new methodology and designs experiments accordingly.
* Develops solutions to complex research problems, which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation. Ensures solutions are consistent with research objectives.
* Contributes to the development of research documentation for publication and/or prepares technical reports, papers and/or records.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
**The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. **
Minimum Field of Expertise
Directly related education and experience in research specialization with advanced knowledge of equipment, procedures, analysis methods, principles, theories and concepts.
*Requisition ID:* 1003093
*Position ID:* P01441085
*Academic Title:* Associate Economist
*Department:* Center for Economic and Social Research (CESR)
*Location:* University Park Campus
*Employment Type:* Full-Time
*Employment Terms:* New, Fixed Term
*Hiring Range:* Salary will commensurate with experience
*Job Category:* Institutional Research and Planning
*Minimum Education:* Ph. D. or equivalent doctorate
*Minimum Experience:* 3 years
*Quicklink for Posting:* http://jobs. usc. edu/postings/42026