## Posting Summary:
The Bhatnagar lab at the University of Virginia has immediate post-doctoral Research Associate positions available to study the epigenetic regulation of transcription. Our laboratory has a broad interest in epigenetic silencing mechanisms and their relevance to human diseases like breast cancer and Rett syndrome. We use transcriptional-based approaches and functional screens in combination with next generation sequencing to identify new epigenetic regulators. The breast cancer research program focuses on: 1) TRIM37-mediated modulation of Polycomb complexes specificity and recruitment to the target genes and 2) identification of therapeutically relevant auxiliary factors facilitating the recruitment of TRIM37. The Rett syndrome research program focuses on: 1) drug discovery of small molecule X chromosome Inactivation factors (XCIFs) inhibitors, and 2) mechanisms and regulatory factors involved in X chromosome Inactivation. These studies are intended to identify new therapeutic targets with an ultimate goal of finding a cure for breast cancer and Rett Syndrome.
Interested candidates should complete a candidate profile and submit a CV, description of research interests, technical skills, past projects and publications, and contact information for three references. Apply directly at https://jobs. virginia. edu and search on posting 0617317. The positions will remain open until filled.
1) Serve as a research trainee for the purpose of enhancing and developing research competencies
2) Participate in planning, designing and conducting highly technical and complex research projects, as assigned under the direction of a supervisor
3) Develop approaches to better understand the epigenetic silencing mechanisms in general transcription and human diseases, Breast cancer and Rett syndrome
4) Contribute to grant application and publications derived from project data
5) Maintain external awareness of scientific discipline through familiarity with current scientific literature
1) MD and/or PhD degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or relative scientific discipline in hand by the start date
2) Experience in epigenetics or cancer-related research
3) Strong background in molecular and cell biology, biochemistry and mouse handling
4) Proven ability to work in a collaborative team environment
5) Excellent verbal and written communication skills
1) Experience with biochemical /cellular assays (RNA-FISH, SNP-genotyping)
2) Experience with next generation sequencing (library preparation, data analysis)
3) Commitment to the development of a dynamic career in science
LIVING IN CHARLOTTESVILLE
Charlottesville is a charming college town located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The local community offers farmer's markets, diverse neighborhoods, great public schools, restaurants, arts, entertainment, and endless opportunities for sports and outdoors recreation. More information can be found at the web page: http://uvacharge. virginia. edu/guide. html
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
## University Leadership Characteristics:
*For Thomas Jefferson, learning was an integral part of life. The "academical village" was created around the assumption that learning is a lifelong and shared process, and that interaction between scholars and students enlivens the pursuit of knowledge. *
University Human Resources strives to identify applicants who will contribute as high potential employees, leaders and managers. We employ individuals who foster and promote the University mission and purpose. Successful candidates exemplify uncommon integrity; they are honest, trusted, team-oriented and live the core values of the University. These candidates display great judgment, by practicing evidence-based decision-making. They are strategically focused by contributing to and achieving department goals and vision. They set high performance standards and hold themselves accountable by aggressively executing these standards. These employees also develop a deep passion for the University and the impact it has on students, faculty, alumni and community. Successful candidates identify their personal career goals and development opportunities, and as supervisors, help their staff do the same. They contribute to team success by leading talent, through their individual efforts and by leading and developing their teams.
## Employment Conditions for Faculty
U. Va. will perform background checks including receipt of official transcripts from the institution granting the highest degree for all new faculty hires prior to making a final offer of employment.
## EO/AA Statement:
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
*Is this position funded in whole or in part by the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (Stimulus Package)? :* No
*Organization (Position Organization):* 40400 MD-BIOC Biochem/Mole Genetics
*Rank:* Research Associate
*Preferred EducationWhat level of education is preferred to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position? Choose one. :* No Response
*Position Type:* Professional Research Staff
*Required Applicant Documents:* CV / ResumeContact information for 3 References - name, email, phoneStatement of Research Interest
*Department:* Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
*Employment Posting Category:* Professional Research Staff
*E-mail a Friend:* jobs. virginia. edu/applicants/Central? quickFind=77287
*Working Title:* Research Associate
*Appointment Type:* Professional Research Staff
*Posting Date:* 09-17-2015
*Type of Application:(required to ap