*Position: *CNC Machinist Second Shift
*Location: *Genoa, Illinois
Under direction of Supervisor, sets up and operates conventional, special purpose, and numerical control (NC) machines and machining centers to fabricate metallic parts by performing the following duties.
1. Must meet department quality, attendance, productivity, and lean manufacturing requirements.
2. Must perform duties in compliance with all safety rules and regulations required by the Company, State, Federal and Local provisions.
3. Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, sample parts, and performs CMM functioning to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
4. Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
5. Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as CNC mills, lathes, and grinders.
6. Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
7. Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
8. Uses precision measuring instruments such as calipers and CMM programs to check work. Checks first piece for dimensions and tolerances before proceeding with remainder of order. Continues to inspect parts as order is being run. Performs SPC as required.
9. Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
10. Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining or assembly problems.
11. Utilizes idle time productively (clean machines, sweep, prepare for next set-up, assist other cell members, etc. )
12. Performs daily preventative maintenance.
13. Supports and maintains 6S initiatives.
14. Continuously improve set-up reduction time and other lean manufacturing principles
15. Employee should continue to train to be versatile in going from various machining operations with moderate supervisor instructions.
16. Assist other machine operators in training and with set-up preparation.
17. Performs other duties within the scope of the job assignment as directed by the Supervisor.
1. Must be able to communicate effectively and work in a cooperative manner to support a team environment.
2. Must have experience in setting-up/operating CNC machining centers.
3. Must be able to read blueprints and routings.
4. Must have mechanical dexterity.
5. Must be able to use precision measuring instruments.
6. Must be able to read, write, and perform basic mathematical calculations at a high school level.
7. Must have received a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent certificate.
*Tools and Equipment Used*
Hand grinders, 4 belt grinders, small drill press, hammer, file, portable stamper or hand stamp, wrenches (ratchet, allen, open-ended), gages, vibrating or pulsing power tools.
*Protective Equipment Required*
Safety glasses, face shield and steel-toed safety shoes.
Typical manufacturing floor with possible exposure to dirt, dust, fumes, heat, cold, noise, vibration, water, or oil.
Compliance with normal safety precautions is necessary to prevent lost-time injuries to self or others. Injuries, should they occur, may result in loss of time due to causes such as severe injuries to hand or foot, loss of fingers or toes, eye injuries, etc. Some exposure to health hazards not incapacitating in nature.
This position requires moderate to considerable physical effort working in a manufacturing environment. The incumbent must have the ability to:
lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds from floor to bench height;
push or pull loaded hand trucks;
perform dynamic activities including frequent bending and twisting of the torso, reaching and stretching into skids and machines, use of pinch grips with fingers, use of power grip with hand, radial/ulnar deviation and flexion/extension of the wrist, and using the hand like a screw driver;
perform static activities including working with arms extended, working with arms above the shoulder, neck flexion, using the hand like a vise, and standing for extended periods of time.
*Visual / Mental Requirements*
Concentrated mental and. /or visual attention in planning, laying out, or performing complex work to very close limits of high accuracy and quality, or coordinating a high degree of manual dexterity and visual attention for sustained periods.
*The responsibilities and duties outlined in this position description are a guideline for the general duties of the position and are not exhaustive of all duties inherent in the job. The company reserves the right to modify, amend, alter or delete any aspect of this position description at any time. *
**Title:** *CNC Machinist - Second Shift*
**Requisition ID:** *224820*