New York Life Insurance Company (New York Life) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, and is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. At year end 2013 New York Life had a total surplus of $21. 141 billion and holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A. M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moodys Aaa ; Standard & Poors AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 6/18/14)
Financial strength, integrity and humanitythe values upon which New York Life was foundedhave guided the companys decisions and actions for nearly 170 years.
*Based on revenue as reported by Fortune 500, Ranked within Industries, Insurance: Life, Health (Mutual), Fortune Magazine, May 20, 2013. Seehttp://money. cnn. com/magazines/fortune/fortune5 00/2013/faq/ for methodology
New York Life Insurance Companys Underwriting Department is seeking qualified life insurance underwriters. Our Underwriting Department is considering candidates to work remotely or within its Service Centers in New York, Duluth, Ga. , Dallas Tx, Lakewood, Oh. , and San Ramon, Ca.
Reporting to an Underwriting CVP, the Senior Associate Underwriter is responsible for evaluating life insurance applications and determining whether applications should be approved, declined or if additional information is required. Senior Associate Underwriters are authorized to issue or decline all cases with 2-Year Total Amount at Risk of $2, 499, 999 or less. Senior Associate Underwriters are also responsible for managing relationships with Agents and service personnel at their designated General Office(s).
Senior Associate Underwriters predominantly rely on Underwriting Guidelines to evaluate an applicants risk classification; however, due to the complexity associated with multiple conditions or the diversity of conditions identified, they are frequently required to make assessments of applicant risk absent specific direction from the Underwriting Guidelines. Whether synthesizing the mortality risk of medical labs and family history or discounting the mortality risks of highly correlated factors such as motor vehicle reports and avocations, Senior Associate Underwriters are expected to evaluate an applicant's overall risk profile, not simply summing the total from individual risk factors.
As the majority of applications reviewed by this role include Attending Physician Statements, a Senior Associate Underwriter must have a working knowledge of medical terminology and awareness of how various medical impairments interact and effect individual mortality risk. They also work closely with General Office personnel and may, at times, speak directly with agents. Consequently, Senior Associate Underwriters must have strong communication and relationship management skills. Senior Associate Underwriters will be required to meet established production standards, time service standards, and will have daily phone interaction with Agents and General Offices.
**Key responsibilities include:**
* Accurately and efficiently classify the mortality risk for proposed insureds as above average (Preferred/Select Preferred), average (Standard), or below average (varying Substandard risks and Decline) based on both medical and nonmedical information on cases with 2-Year TAAR (Total Amount At Risk-Dollar amount requiring underwriting) of $2, 499, 999 or less with an Attending Physician Statement given the increased complexity of the requirement due to the higher level of medical knowledge and understanding required to accurately assess the medical records
* Maintain a strong working knowledge of our administrative systems, product rules, underwriting guidelines and medical factors impacting mortality
* Participate in on-going medical, financial, and soft skill training
* Author messages to Agents and General Office staff regarding application status, additional requirements needed, input errors and required corrections, Reinsurance offer details and requirements, as well as the final underwriting decision and associated reason(s)
* Accurately classify the mortality risk on non-contractual attained age term conversions, contract changes, and reinstatements with a TAAR (Total Amount At Risk-Dollar amount requiring underwriting) up to and including $2, 499, 999.
* Foreign risk underwriting
* Identify and refer appropriate cases to the FUR (Field Underwriter Responsibility) process in a timely manner
* Meets annual continuing education requirements and are encouraged to pursue industry courses and designations, such as FALU (Fellow Academy of Life Underwriting), FLMI (Fellow Life Management Institute), and CLU - Chartered Life Underwriting
* Assist Senior Underwriter-Technical Lead with ad hoc presentations as needed
* Bachelor's degree. Progress towards FALU or FLMI.
* 5+ years Life Underwriting experience
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
*Date:* Nov 14, 2016
*Location:* Duluth, GA, US
*Company:* New York Life Insurance Co
*Job Segment:* Underwriter, Relationship Manager, Insurance, Customer Service
*Nearest Major Market:* Atlanta