Grant Thornton is collaborative, entrepreneurial and on the move. As part of a dynamic global organization of 42, 000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, we have the agility and focus it takes to be a leader.
Tax Manager State & Local Tax Income & Franchise Tax
Grant Thorntons responsive, partner-led Tax service teams help dynamic companies navigate complexity and grow with insightful, practical tax advice. In addition to tax professionals in more than 50 offices around the United States, our Washington National Tax Office provides deep technical knowledge and responsive support in local, state, federal and international tax. Our tax services include: compliance, compensation and benefits consulting services, federal tax services, international tax services, state and local tax services, private wealth services, tax accounting and risk advisory services and tax compliance services.
The Tax Manager in the State and Local Tax Income & Franchise group is responsible for the delivery of a full range of tax services for multiple clients in a wide variety of industries. Responsibilities include interacting closely with clients to provide innovative tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise; providing primary and secondary review of complex tax returns; developing and managing staff; and working closely with partners and staff on client management, practice development, and business development activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manage, direct, and monitor multiple client services teams on client engagements; plan, execute, direct, and complete tax projects in a wide variety of industries; provide tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise to clients; and manage to budget.
* Manage, develop, train, and mentor staff on tax projects and assess performance for engagement and year-end reviews.
* Deliver a full range of State and Local Tax services including tax return preparation and review, tax research, preparation of technical memorandums, drafting client correspondence, and counseling client in defending against state audits.
* Conduct primary and secondary review of complicated State and Local tax returns.
* Manage multi-disciplinary, multi-state reviews that analyze income, franchise, sales and use, payroll, valorem taxes, and others to identify optimal filing options, exemptions, credits and incentives, and corporate structures that can reduce the client's tax burden.
* Consult, work with, and service client to make recommendations on business and process improvement and serve as a business adviser to client.
* Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting and CPA.
* Five to seven years of progressive State and Local Tax consulting and/or compliance experience in public accounting or a combination of corporate and public accounting experience.
* State Income/Franchise Tax experience mandatory, and must be eager to work on a variety of SALT issues.
* Excellent analytical, technical, and tax accounting/technology skills with proficiency in US GAAP, tax compliance, corporate consolidated returns, and combined state tax returns.
* Strong leadership, business development, recruiting, training, coaching, and mentoring skills, coupled with excellent written, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
* Computer expertise including knowledge of tax software and technology.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
* Masters in Taxation, LLM in Taxation, or JD a plus.
* Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel to various client sites.
Grant Thornton LLP promotes a nationally recognized culture of health and offers an extensive array of benefits to meet individual lifestyles. For a complete list of benefits, please visithttp://www. gt. com/.
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton LLP (Grant Thornton) is the U. S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd. , one of the worlds leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms. Grant Thornton has revenues in excess of $1. 3 billion and operates 58 offices across the U. S. , with more than 565 partners and 8, 000 employees.
Grant Thornton works with a broad range of publicly- and privately-held companies, government agencies, financial institutions, and civic and religious organizations. Core industries served include consumer and industrial products, financial services, not-for-profit, private equity, and technology. Grant Thornton focuses on serving dynamic organizations that pursue growth holistically whether through revenue improvement, leadership, mission fulfillment or innovation.
It is Grant Thorntons policy to promote equal employment opportunities. All personnel decisions, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits and termination, are made without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
**Title:** *Tax Manager - State & Local Tax - Income & Franchise Tax*
**Requisition ID:** *035910*